Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bloodcrusher WIP

So I've been trying to get more contrast on the model and I wanted the model to be like 'eye candy' and draw attention towards it. I went to an art store to pick up some things and browsed the paint aisle and started looking at some of the inks that Liquitex and FW had. I decided to buy some red ink and black ink to give it a shot and use it as a wash and do multiple transitional layers on the model to see if it would 'pop' more. And behold........the outcome......



I do think that the model stands out more now and I have to admit, the inks I bought were amazing. I am made up my mind that from now on, I will be base coating and using primary colors from GW and blending them with the different colored inks from liquitex to make the final product.

For example:

This was the test piece that I painted before touching the bloodcrusher just to see the effects the ink would have. All I did was paint the body with Mechrite Red, then I used Liquidtex Pyrrole Red ink and painted about 5-6 layers with dry time. (The stuff drys faster than GW paint and water mix and is more translucent so you can see the paint below better. i.e.: the red to black) Then I used Carbon Black and mixed a little bit of water, almost a 2:1 ratio of water:ink and continue to paint on about 5-6 layers. That's it! Total paint time was about 15 minutes or so. AMAZING stuff I tell you. Only bad thing is that it dries glossy, but that can be fixed with a matte spray.

Thoughts and comments....

3 comments:

Black Matt said...

That looks great. What does fw stand for in the post

MiCho said...

Not sure what it stands for, but that's what is on the ink bottle.

Tim Toolen said...

I would have never guessed the inks dried glossy since I saw the fig in person at GD. Nice find!